To be considered for acceptance into Honors in the Major in Statistics, a student must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 or higher and completed STAT 302, 309 and 333 (or other courses with the approval of the adviser) with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher. Please see your advisor for formal application.
Requirements for Honors in the Statistics Major
See The Guide for all requirements. In short:
- Complete all requirements for the Major in Statistics.
- Complete all L&S requirements for Honors in the Major.
- At the time of graduation, the student must have a grade point average of 3.5 or higher in Statistics Department courses and also in all courses taken at UW-Madison.
- Complete at least 2 statistics elective courses (other than Stat 699) for “Honors” credit or take an additional 3-credit statistics elective. Again, see The Guide for more details.
- Complete the Stat 681-682 sequence (6 cr.) and produce a Senior Honors Project under the supervision of a participating faculty member of the Department of Statistics.
Note: Prior to enrollment in the Stat 681-682 senior honors project, students must complete the Honors Project Application Form and have it signed by both your advisor and honors project faculty mentor. All students seeking to earn Honors in the Major must find a participating faculty member who is willing to serve as the honors project mentor.
Expectations for Senior Honors Projects in Statistics
Each Honors student is required to prepare a written report in which the main results of her/his project are presented. The writing of the project must be the work of the student!! The report needs to be well-organized and well-written.
The exact structure of the report will depend on the particular nature of the project and the advice of the project advisor. Roughly speaking, the main body of the report should contain on the order of 5000 words (or more). This does not include tables, plots, and, where appropriate, computer code. The number of pages devoted to such items may exceed the number of pages of text. It is strongly urged that the written report be prepared using LaTeX.
The report should be sent electronically to the project advisor and to the Honors advisor, to be included in a "library" of all Honor's reports. A hard copy of the report should also be given to the project advisor if s/he wishes to receive one.
In addition, each Honors student should prepare a poster of their project for presentation at a Department Poster Session, typically in late April.
Some students may choose to present a poster at the Campus-wide Poster Session. It is our strong preference that students presenting Campus-wide also present at the Department Session.
Honors students are expected to participate in informal meetings/discussions, typically 3 or fewer each semester, on various career-oriented topics. The Honors advisor will get in touch with honor students to organize these meetings.
Honors in the Major Requirements for students who declared prior to Fall 2013
Students who have declared the statistics major prior to Aug. 26, 2013 can apply for honors in the major provided that the student completed Math 221, 222, and 234 (or equivalent) with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in these three courses.
Listed below are the requirements for Honors in the Major in Statistics:
- The student must successfully complete Statistics 309, 310, 424, (no equivalents accepted) and four elective courses selected from statistics: 333, 349, 351, 411, 421, 456, 609, and 641.
- At the time of graduation, the student must have a grade point average of 3.3 or higher in statistics department courses.
- The student must successfully complete 3 credits selected from Comp Sci 302, 412, or 525.
- The student must successfully complete Math 340.
Option 1: The student must successfully complete three credits selected from Math 443, 475, 521, or 632 OR
Option 2: The student must successfully complete 12 credits in an area of application approved by the statistics department undergraduate advisor
- The student must obtain a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in the three or more courses used to satisfy requirements 3-5.
- The student must successfully complete a Senior Honors Thesis under the supervision of a member of the faculty of the Department of Statistics.
Students who pursue Honors in the Major must also earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 in all course work taken at UW Madison at the time of graduation.