“All models are wrong but some are useful.” George Box, professor emeritus of Statistics and of Industrial & Systems Engineering, died on Thursday, March 28, 2013, at the age of 93. Founder of the Department of Statistics and co-founder of the Center for Quality and Productivity Improvement, George made profound contributions in several areas, particularly experimental design, time series and quality improvement. He mentored several generations of grateful students and influenced researchers far and wide. He was known for his sense of humor, genial nature and compelling storytelling abilities. He is greatly missed.
A Celebration of Life was held at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 5, 2013 at First Unitarian Society, 900 University Bay Drive, Madison. A full obituary can be found at Cress Funeral Service.
Other tributes are appearing on the web. Below is a partial list.
Obituary & Media Reports
- Obituary, Cress Funeral Service
- Madison.com Newspapers
- UW-Madison News
- George Box Endowment Fund
- Memorial Resolution, read at UW Faculty Senate, 272 Bascom Hall, 3:30pm, Monday, 6 May, 2013
- The January 2014 issue of Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry has a collection of articles, mostly written by George's former students, on his research and ideas. Bovas Abraham and David Steinberg served as guest editors.
- Technometrics put together a "virtual issue" of articles written by George Box (guest editor David Steinberg). The issue, prepared in cooperation with Taylor and Francis, is limited to journals they publish (Tech, JASA and Quality Engineering).
- Joint Statistical Meetings 2013 in Montréal: A Tribute to George Box, Sunday, 4 August 2013, 2-3:50pm (UW-Madison Statistics Reception, Monday, 5 August, 6-8pm)
- Bovas Abraham, Statistics Views
- Matthew Barsalou, Quality Digest
- Colin Beveridge, The Aperiodical
- Julian Champkin, Significance Magazine
- Matt Dickenson
- John J Flaig, Quality Digets
- David Giles, U Victoria, Canada
- John Hunter, son of Bill Hunter
- Rob Hyndman, Monash U, Australia
- Bradley Jones, SAS
- Daniel Peña: En Memoria de George E. P. Box
- Ron Snee, Snee Associates
- American Society for Quality (ASQ)
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMS)
- Royal Statistical Society (RSS)
Other Units at UW-Madison
Biography, Timeline & Interviews
- George Box Curriculum Vitae
- George Box PhD Students
- An Accidental Statistician (George Box, 2013, Wiley)
- George Box: Some Remembrances (J Stuart Hunter, 2010)
- George Box Biography (J J O'Connor and E F Robertson, 2006)
- George Box: An Interview with the International Journal of Forecasting (Daniel Peña, 2001)
- A Conversation with George Box (Morris de Groot, 1987)
- UW-Madison Statistics 50th Anniversary (2010)
- Comments by George Box
- Early Years of the Statistics Department (George Tiao)
- Wisconsin at Age 50 (Steve Stigler)
- 50-Year History of the Statistics Department (2011 book chapter by N Draper, R Johnson, S Stigler, KW Tsui, B Yandell)