Return to Chair & Associate Chair Duties.
- Prepare Summer School (Oct)
- Set summer school budget and schedule
- Find & commit people to teach in the summer. Get contracts signed.
- Assign Summer TAs (Apr)
- Monitor enrollment (Apr-May)
- Oversee TA evaluation?
Review Admissions material (Jul-Aug)
- Web pages
- File handling process (Jude)
- Admissions Committee
Meetings and Deadlines
- Fall Submission Deadline: 1 Dec
- First Admissions Committee meeting (mid-Dec)
- Follow-up in min-Jan and start making decisions
Monitor number of slots and offers
- Ask faculty about research support (Nov)
- Monitor changes in support (Nov-Mar)
- Ask Dean for guarantee slots based on positions (Jan)
- Coordinate with BMI on traineeships (Jan)
- A letters (mid-Jan)
- University Fellows (late Jan)
- C letters (mid-Feb)
- D letters (mid-Mar)
- Rejections on offers after 15 Apr
- Need TOEFL S score (spoken) at least 22 to ensure 40 on SPEAK test
- Phone all short-list international to check English.
- Timing of international TAs is important.
- Students need to get messages several times and in several ways as they may not understad.
- They should get timing info with their admission letter and by email.
Visit Day (mid-Mar)
- Offer to guaranteed domestic students
- Coordinate with BMI on funds
- Arrange faculty, students to fill schedule
Welcome Week (last week of Aug)
- Set up orientation schedule (pre-Jul)
- Supervise TA training sessions
- Collect assessment scores of potential TAs
- Give information to Awards Committee for TA assignments.
- encourage students and faculty to go to fall orientation gathering
- take pictures there!
- come to orientation last mon of aug
- sign up with Denise Roder to take SPEAK test
- meet with advisor that mon
- registrar for at least one course
- TA training by us (day 2)
- prepare for TA mock session
- TA evaluation of mock session (day 3)
- take SPEAK test as soon as possible (mid-Aug!)
- turn in TA application
- attend ISS information session (one of several blocks)
- attend campus-level TA training
Summer International TA (ITA) Session
- Coordinate activites (May)
- ITA schedule and duties
- Arrange student helpers (1st-2nd year ideally) for arrival
- Arrive (mid-Jul)
- Coordinate with Sat 301 instructor: sit it
- Oversight on English classes
- TA training on day 2 of Welcome Week
- TA evaluation on day 3 of Welcome Week
Coordinate with Awards Committee (Aug)
New TA mentoring
- 3 week observation by faculty
- 6 week survey (use form)
New Spring TA offers (Jan)