Graduate admissions involves a formal on-line application with a required fee, one copy of official transcripts, and various supporting materials as outlined below. Due to the advances in Web communication and the high cost of mailing, this campus has moved completely to electronic admissions. We can no longer send you paper copies of the application materials. It is important that your email address is accurate so that we can respond to you efficiently.
We do not make preliminary evaluations of any applicant inquiry based on email communication. No decision will be made until after the deadline has passed and a completed file (including the application fee) has been received.
Fall 2015 Admission: December 1, 2014
Due to an exceptionally large incoming Fall 2014 class, we are not accepting applications for Spring 2015!
Before applying to the Statistics Department, read the Graduate School Frequently Asked Questions. Note that there is a non-refundable application fee, and that applicants whose native language is not English, or whose undergraduate instruction was not in English, must provide an English proficiency test score (TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS). For information about this Graduate School requirement, see http://grad.wisc.edu/admissions/requirements/. Send English proficiency test scores to institution code 1846.
Begin your electronic application at https://www.gradsch.wisc.edu/eapp/eapp.pl.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation, which must be submitted electronically.
- List your references in the online application for admission. A recommendation request will be sent, by email, to each of your references. The email will include your name with a link to each department's electronic recommendation form. The request can be sent at any time providing you meet department deadlines. You can change references or send a reminder through your application.
- It is common practice to contact your references ahead of time so that they expect your request.
- After you have submitted your application, you can view receipt of your recommendations through the online status system.
- Supplemental Application for Statistics (part of the Graduate School online application). This must include:
- Are you applying for the Biostatistics option? (yes or no)
- One electronic copy (PDF format) of each official transcript that you sent to us
- A list of all mathematics and statistics courses and grades taken to date and titles of the main text(s) for these courses
- Copy of your CV or resume
- Statement of Purpose
- Additional information on awards or published papers
- GRE scores:
- Please Note: The subject GRE is not required, but we do require the general GRE which includes verbal, quantitative and analytical writing assessment
- GRE scores should be sent electronically to institution code 1846
- Send the following item to the Statistics Department via regular postal mail (NOT email or FAX)
- One complete set of official transcripts. If the original is not in English, please have a copy in English sent also.
- The address the transcripts should be sent to is: UW Madison, Department of Statistics, 1300 University Ave., 1220 MSC, Madison WI 53706 (USA)
All of the above material is required; none can be waived.
THE REQUIRED MATERIAL MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE ABOVE DEADLINE FOR FALL ADMISSION FOR CONSIDERATION FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANTSHIP.
If you have any further questions, please email Andrea Palm (email@example.com) and include your full name and what semester you are interested in applying for.
See our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) here.