Graduate admissions involves a formal on-line application with a required fee, one copy of official transcripts, and various supporting materials as outlined below. Due to the advances in Web communication and the high cost of mailing, this campus has moved completely to electronic admissions. We can no longer send you paper copies of the application materials. It is important that your email address is accurate so that we can respond to you efficiently.
We do not make preliminary evaluations of any applicant inquiry based on email communication. No decision will be made until after the deadline has passed and a completed file (including the application fee) has been received.
Fall Admission: December 1
Spring Admission: October 1
You must send the fee as stipulated in What to Send to the Graduate School.
In order to apply to the Statistics Department, read the following information:
- Graduate School Admissions Requirements
- Graduate School Application Instructions
- What to Send to the Graduate School
- Letters of Recommendation Process
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation required electronically.
- Letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically.
- List your references in the online application for admission. A recommendation request will be sent, by email, to each of your references. The email will include your name with a link to each department's electronic recommendation form. The request can be sent at any time providing you meet department deadlines. You can change references or send a reminder through your application.
- It is common practice to contact your references ahead of time so that they expect your request.
- After you have submitted your application, you and your department can view receipt of your recommendations through the online status system.
- Supplemental Application for Statistics (part of the Graduate School online application). This must include:
- Are you applying for the Biostatistics option? (yes or no)
- One electronic copy (PDF format) of each official transcript that you sent to us
- A list of all mathematics and statistics courses and grades taken to date and titles of the main text(s) for these courses
- Copy of your CV or resume
- Statement of Purpose
- Additional information on awards or published papers
- Send the following item to the Statistics Department via regular postal mail (NOT email or FAX)
- One complete set of official transcripts (NOTE: You must send ONE (1) set of transcripts directly to the department)
All of the above material is required; none can be waived.
- Please Note: The subject GRE is not required, but we do require the general GRE which includes verbal, quantitative and analytical writing assessment
THE REQUIRED MATERIAL MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE ABOVE DEADLINE FOR FALL ADMISSION FOR CONSIDERATION FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANTSHIP.
If you have any further questions, please contact Andrea Palm (palm AT stat.wisc.edu) and please include the following information:
- Your full name
- Your contact information: email, home and daytime phone number
- What semester and year you are interested in applying for
See our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) here.